Saturday, December 14, 2013

A cup of coffee and a thought. Saying Merry Christmas.

What's wrong with saying Merry Christmas?  Are we all so afraid of causing offense that we all cower in the name and just say "Happy Holidays". People can actually get written up at work for saying it. Things you see on old movies you just can't do anymore. What got me thinking of this is when I watched Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. Everyone said Merry Christmas,  eventhough Mr Hooper was Jewish. He didn't take offense.  He viewed Christmas as a time of giving. Bob did say happy Hanukkah, to him. But now, you say merry Christmas to people and someone is bound to get upset. "I'm offended", well I'm offended that you're offended for being offended. Are you offended because it's a "Christian" holiday? I am not the most religious person, but I still love the holiday and all it means.
Let's have a history lesson.  A lesson that was even mentioned on Foodnetwork's "Good Eats". Christmas was not always called Christmas.  Infact, it had little to do with Christ until the Church,trying to keep people happy all of a sudden said Christ was born in December.  In which many historians believe was actually the spring. The church tried banning the old Celtic and pagan celebration of the Yuletide . Which caused people to do it anyways to the extreme and revolt. Drinking for a week straight and even the church was closed. Seriously,  go to Youtube and search History Channel history of Christmas.  Or "Good eats Christmas carol" .  Or go to the History Channel's website.
But, I say let's say what we want. Why conform? Christmas to me is about family, spending time with them, eating, and savoring memmories. As well as wrapping gifts with a bottle of wine. Traditions.  So I say Christmas has done me good and will do me good. And I say God bless it. If you get the Dickens references you are awesome!

Now here is a fun pic.

No comments:

Post a Comment